Community of Practice
The INEE Community of Practice (CoP) is an online platform that facilitates peer-to-peer communication and moderated discussions on the full range of education in emergencies topics in many languages. The platform intends to cultivate collaborative relationships and meaningful exchanges - both synchronous and asynchronous - for sharing knowledge and local wisdom, amplifying voices, developing resources, informing policy, building capacity, undertaking joint advocacy, and identifying content worthy of wider dissemination. The CoP is open to all INEE members.
The INEE CoP uses a Slack workspace structured around topic-focused channels:
- The list of channels grows gradually as our members express interest in specific topics or countries.
- Each channel has a dedicated moderator to stimulate and monitor the discussions, ensure adherence to community guidelines and Code of Conduct, and elevate pertinent issues beyond the scope of the channel.
- In addition to thematic channels, there are five generic public channels based on the five INEE languages - Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish - that act as first entry and common areas for all participants in their preferred language of communication.
- The CoP also offers direct messaging between individuals and groups; any participant can directly and privately communicate with any other participant while respecting privacy and the Code of Conduct.
- Participants can join and leave any channel at any time.
The CoP is a service for INEE members. If you are not yet a member, you can join the network for free by registering here: inee.org/register.
Join us today!
Once in the CoP, you can watch video tutorials, browse and join channels, and connect with hundreds (if not thousands!) of other INEE members. Watch this video that walks you through the CoP.
Guidelines & Code of Conduct
The INEE CoP Guidelines and Code of Conduct document lays out the goals, rules, and values that guide participant behavior in the INEE CoP, a space in which diverse individuals can collaborate and interact in a positive and affirming way. All CoP users are expected to comply with the Code of Conduct, including, but not limited to:
- Use welcoming and inclusive language
- Be respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
- Gracefully accept constructive criticism
- Focus on what is best for the overall community
- Show empathy towards other community members
- Avoid any harassing behavior in public and private conversations.
- Contact the moderator of a channel or an admin in case of any unacceptable behavior
Which languages can I use in the CoP?
The Slack-based interface is available in more than 10 languages, and CoP users may exchange with others in any language you can type.
The CoP is designed with a variety of dedicated and moderated channels in the five INEE languages - Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish - and you can identify these by their language prefix (e.g. #en-general, #es-ayuda, etc.). The majority of the thematic public channels are in English, due to its common use, but the CoP can accommodate thematic channels in any language of interest to the INEE membership.
How can I find and join channels in the CoP?
Once you have joined the INEE CoP in the Slack workspace, you can browse all public channels by clicking on the "+" next to the word "Channels" in the left sidebar. You may join as many channels as you want, and you can always leave them later. Read this tutorial for more details.
You can explore here the list of existing channels. More channels will be gradually added.
Can I create new channels in the CoP?
Members cannot create channels. The CoP has a dynamic set of channels that will grow and evolve over time depending on participant interest. If you think a specific topic or event needs to have a dedicated channel, you can submit a new channel request to email@example.com. As the requestor, you will be expected to act as moderator of the new channel if it is approved, unless otherwise arranged (reference the INEE CoP Moderator Guide). The CoP Admin team will determine the viability of suggested channels and, if created, promote them to the wider CoP.
Can I invite new members to the CoP?
Yes! You can invite new members by sharing this application form: https://forms.gle/c4g2LzVgvnwVTHDA8
What is the difference between the INEE Community of Practice and the INEE Help Desk?
The INEE Community of Practice (CoP) is a platform that facilitates communication between INEE members in any language, similar to social and professional networks. Most of the communication happens in thematic channels that are moderated by designated moderators, and members may also exchange private direct messages with other members. The INEE CoP is a good place to crowdsource an answer to a question and to gather ideas and knowledge from other members.
The INEE Help Desk is a tool for providing rapid and specific technical support on education in emergencies; it is designed to respond to questions about INEE tools and resources, as well as provide information about capacity development opportunities. Every request submitted to the Help Desk is responded to in a timely manner by the Help Desk operator. Requests may be submitted in Arabic, English, French, and Spanish.