Operations and Finance Officer (repost)
The Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack (GCPEA) is seeking a highly motivated person to provide operational, financial, communications, and administrative support to ensure the efficient functioning of the Coalition. The Operations and Finance Officer will report directly to the Executive Director. This position will preferably be based in New York City, NY, with a hybrid schedule of in-office and virtual work.
This position offers a unique opportunity to work at the intersection of education in emergencies, human rights, humanitarian aid, and child protection, as part of a coalition of international organizations dedicated to safeguarding schools and universities, and their students and staff, during armed conflict. Established in 2010, GCPEA is governed by a steering committee made up of: Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch (HRW), Plan International, Protect Education in Insecurity and Conflict (PEIC), a program of the Education Above All Foundation, Save the Children, UNICEF, and UNESCO. GCPEA is a project of the Tides Center, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Learn more at www.protectingeducation.org
Salary will be commensurate with experience and will be in the range of $50,000 to $65,000. GCPEA offers a generous benefits plan, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, along with paid vacation and sick time. A retirement plan, Employee Assistance Plan, and many more perks are included.
Operations and Finance Officer Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Track expenses and generate monthly financial reports, spending projections, and updated budgets and ensure adherence to project budget and donor requirements;
- Process the timely payment of all invoiced expenses and reimbursements, including payments of consultants and vendors;
- Assist with reports to donors, track reporting requirements for grants, and produce financial reports to funders;
- Review, reconcile, and submit monthly credit card statements in a timely fashion, and manage petty cash accounts; and
- Liaise with the Tides Center accountant to ensure accuracy of all financial reporting and timely processing of all financial transactions.
Administration and Operations
- Maintain the Coalition’s contacts and other databases, along with accurate records for GCPEA’s procurement and activities;
- Schedule regular meetings and contribute to the planning and implementation of bi-monthly call-in meetings of the Steering Committee and bi-annual in-person meetings, often held internationally, including travel and all logistics;
- Liaise with graphic designers, translators, and other vendors throughout the production of reports and other publications and proofread documents as needed; and
- Perform routine administrative tasks necessary to the functioning of the Coalition.
Communications, Social Media, and Information Technology
- Manage GCPEA’s web presence, including website maintenance, and track and report on GCPEA’s online footprint;
- Manage GCPEA’s social media accounts and develop content for use in online communications; and
- Develop and manage electronic mailings and manage GCPEA’s email accounts and other online accounts and liaise with IT/helpdesk to troubleshoot computer and internet problems as necessary.
- Travel occasionally, as required, including to bi-annual Steering Committee meetings, approximately half of which are held internationally.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, International Education, Non-profit Management, or a similar or relevant field.
- A minimum of three years of operations, administrative, or finance experience is preferred, but not required. Event management experience, including arranging travel, is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Exceptional attention to detail under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously.
- Ability to carry out basic financial and accounting tasks, or willingness to learn; capacity to clearly and effectively communicate financial and budget information.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, as well as the ability to write for different audiences and modes of communication, including social media.
- Ability to work efficiently and interact with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, differing levels of seniority, and an array of diverse organizations, including civil society, international organizations, and government.
- Capacity to take initiative without prompting, take ownership of projects, and consistently follow-up on tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize action and responses.
- Skilled and proficient in executing administrative tasks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Please email your resume, cover letter, short unedited writing sample of not more than 5 pages, and the names and contact details of three professional references to: email@example.com. Please include the “Operations and Finance Officer position” in the subject line.
The application deadline is October 6, 2023. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so please consider applying at your earliest convenience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack is a fiscally sponsored project of Tides Center. Tides Center is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities and welcome your application even if you do not meet every one of the above requirements. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, political affiliation, disability, or medical condition. We encourage and consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.