The Program Manager will work closely with the Country Director in supporting functions and, at HQ level, with the M&E, Reporting and Support Manager.
The Program Manager will supervise and monitor all departments and their activities in Hod El Chargi region related to operations implemented in order to ensure donor and internal compliance to regulations and procedures at the programmatic, logistic, administrative, security and financial level.
RET is committed to working in emergencies, in protracted crises, and in fragile contexts to alleviate the deepest sufferings, build people’s resilience and enhance their self-reliance.
We believe we are amongst the leading NGOs to provide tailor-made solutions and relevant programs to bridge the gaps and respond to the real needs and challenges of the communities.
We assume a decisive catalytic role in sustainable development. We aim to provoke significant positive change, enabling particularly vulnerable youth and young women to take control of their lives and fulfil their social and economic rights.
We stand with people, with refugees, returnees, Internally Displaced Persons (IDP’s), alongside the host communities adopting the fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, and independence.
- Supervise and guide the full implementation, management, coordination and achievement of expected outcomes of RET’s projects in the country;
- Implement RET’s strategy in a timely, effective and efficient manner;
- Participate in the production of quality narrative, in coordination with the management staff and in compliance with RET’s and the donor’s expectations.
- Provide programmatic leadership & team management in the development and implementation of the programs.
- Support the Country Representative in maintaining strong partnerships and diversifying partnerships by identifying new partners in support of the Country Business Development Plan.
- Proactively inform RET Country Director of identified opportunities, risks and risk mitigation relevant to the program planning and implementation.
- Maintain an overview of the national and regional context with a view to the strategic development of the project both in the current identified sites and potential of future program extension and expansion.
- Support programme implementation as needed, including: developing assessments, baselines, budgets, monitoring and evaluation systems, field visits to verify data, reporting and close-out.
- In coordination with the Country Director and the Project Coordinator(s)/Officer(s), develop effective and efficient Work-Plans, detailing each required steps to achieve RET’s objectives, in compliance with contract(s) signed with the donor(s);
- Closely follow up on the implementation of the Work-Plan, and, if necessary, take any corrective measure to ensure timely implementation of the activities and/or revision of the Work-Plan;
- Guide other Project Officer(s) in their day-to-day work, ensuring that the activities are planed efficiently and implemented in compliance with contract(s) signed with the donor(s);
- Undertake frequent field missions, ensuring that the project activities are effectively implemented in line with work plan requirements, and as described in the progress reports, in compliance with contract(s) signed with the donor(s);
- Manage her/his subordinates, ensuring that a proper team spirit prevails;
- Report to the Country Director, in a timely manner, any discrepancy, challenge, or difficulty met during the planning and implementation of the activities, especially when it could affect the achievement of RET’s objectives.
Finance, Administration and Logistics
- Closely coordinate with the different support departments, namely Finances, Administration, Human Resources (HR), and Logistics, to ensure the proper allocation of the necessary resources for an efficient and effective implementation of the project(s);
- In coordination with the Project /Officer(s), supervise and validate the budget plans and budget / logistics / administrative documentation, necessary for the allocation of resources for the implementation of the planned activities;
- Ensure that her/his subordinates comply with RET’s administrative processes and procedures;
- When required, participate in the HR procedures (recruitment, performance management, staff development, etc.). This will include ensuring that her/his subordinates have performances objectives and are fairly managed according to performance;
- Participate to the elaboration of accurate financial reports, as requested by the Country Director, in collaboration with the Head of the Finance Department.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting
- At the beginning of each project, participate in the development, of the M&E Plan, tools & templates together with the M&E officer, under the supervision of the M&E, Reporting and Support Manager;
- Together with M&E Officer and the Project Coordinator(s) /Officer(s), ensure that data on programme beneficiaries, processes, progress and performance are collected, entered, and analysed in a timely fashion, and documented in line with DQA requirements, using the proper project tracking tools designed under the supervision of the M&E, Reporting and Support Manager;
- Follow up with Project /Officer(s) and other Field Staff on implementation of programmatic activities, in line with the projects’ work plans and M&E plans (Timelines, Milestones & Targets) and regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes;
- Review the field completed M&E forms (ensuring accuracy, completion & timeliness of datasets & forms) prior to upload to Dropbox in collaboration with the M&E, Reporting and Support Manager. In tandem, ensure the development and maintenance of a proper M&E filing system (M&E paper trail) at project and country level(s) in line with donor requirements;
- Participate in the timely development, review, and edit of periodic consolidated project reports (e.g. monthly SitReps, quarterly, or final reports), submitted by the Project Coordinator(s) /Officer(s), comparing reports against M&E forms kept on file, in compliance with RET’s HQ and Regional’s requirements, as well as with the donor(s) contractual obligations;
- Send the final reports to the Country Director for approval and Submission to the M&E, Reporting and Support Manager;
- Follow up with the Project /Officer(s) on inconsistencies, resolving data discrepancies, highlighted by the M&E Officer, upon reviewing and comparing monthly reports to M&E forms;
- Conduct periodic data quality checks, in coordination with the M&E Officer, M&E, Reporting and Support Manager and the Country Director;
- Hold frequent (as required) coordination calls with the M&E, Reporting and Support Manager;
- In coordination with the Country Director, participate in new project proposals development narrative, operational and financial) in collaboration with technical teams, project leads, Country Director and M&E, Reporting and Support Manager;
- If requested by the Country Director, participate to coordination meetings with the authorities and/or partners;
- Be regularly abreast of the security situation in the North East of Mauritania, keeping close coordination with the Country Security Advisor, and Global Security Advisor;
- Complete any additional task, as requested by the Country Director.
In addition, like all RET Staff
- Comply with internal policies, ensuring that activities and their performance comply with what is established in RET's Code of Conduct and other Manuals;
- Work as a team member to achieve RET’s goals;
- Manage in a transparent way RET’s resources, fulfilling effectively and efficiently the tasks entrusted;
- Propose, constructively, alternative solutions to problems that arise in the work area.
Core Competencies Required
- People and Management Skills: Ability to work independently and in a team, demonstrate management skills and leadership;
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills both in English and official local language. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with relevant institutions and organizations, internal and external stakeholders as a representative of RET international. These skills include effective negotiation and representation;
- Integrity: Work with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to RET International core values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner in line with the humanitarian nature of RET International’s core activities;
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally acceptable manner;
- Knowledge and skills: Knowledge of Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, project management, and information management and telecommunication skills;
- Confidentiality: Appreciation and understanding of confidentiality and use of discretion when dealing with employment/staff matters.
- Experience in EU and USAID Project Management is highly desirable and EU/USAID Project Technical Assistance will be a plus
- Bachelor degree (preferable Master degree), in Humanities and Social/Political Sciences;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, proficient level French and English language both in writing and speaking; Working knowledge of Arabic language an advantage;
- Excellent word processing and IT skills, including knowledge of a range of software packages and comprehensive capabilities in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Management of people, administration, project management, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, general finance knowledge, experience with working and interpretation with data (preferable presentation of the documentary evidence);
- Flexibility to manage different tasks effectively and willingness to put in extra hours when required.
Any interested candidate should email application letter and CV (with 3 referees) (do not attach certificates) to the Country Director through the following email address: RECRUIT-MR@RETGERMANY.ORG by 26th October 2020. The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for.
Due to the urgency to fill this post, RET reserves the right to review the CVs on a rolling basis and selected candidates may be interviewed prior to the closing dates listed, therefore early applications are encouraged. RET is not in a position to respond to every applicant individually due to the anticipated high number of applications. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.