Programme Coordinator - Migration, Displacement, Emergencies and Education
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General, Education (ADG/ED), guidance from the Director, Division for Education 2030 (E30) and direct supervision from the Chief of Section for Migration, Displacement, Emergencies and Education (E30/EME), the incumbent coordinates UNESCO’s strategic engagement in the areas of migration, displacement, emergencies, and education in the frameworks of SDG-Education 2030 Agenda and the Futures of Education and in alignment with the Global Compacts for Refugees and for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration and other global instruments through positioning the Organization at the global level and providing technical support and advice at the regional and national levels through/with the Field Offices and Institutes. S/he engages in key global mechanisms, such as the Geneva Global Hub, INEE, and ensures UNESCO’s visibility and substantive intellectual and technical contributions. Also s/he conceptualizes and delivers global initiatives of UNESCO’s comparative advantage from funding proposals to design to reporting in close coordination and collaboration with the Education Sector, other Sectors, Field Offices and Institutes. In addition, s/he may lead a team of colleagues on particular thematic areas, evaluating progress and performance. Moreover, s/he provides strategic advice and technical support to enhancing UNESCO’s operations in the Field.
In particular, the incumbent will be expected to perform the following activities:
- Strategic engagement and organizational positioning
- Coordinate UNESCO’s contributions to key global mechanisms in migration, displacement, emergencies and education.
- Contribute to the enhancement of UNESCO’s positioning and visibility through substantial intellectual and technical inputs.
- Programme development and management
- Conceptualize and develop programme of UNESCO’s comparative advantage.
- Advocate for and lead inter-sectoral and divisional collaboration.
- Represent and provide specialized advice to internal and external colleagues, peers, and stakeholders.
- Advise peers, colleagues, partners and governments on policy formulation, programmes and projects and developments and best practices and emerging trends in areas of migration, displacement, emergencies, and education.
- Assess linkages of programme work and evaluate impact of activities. Evaluate and report on progress.
- Study current best practices and professional developments and translate into relevant programmatic and project actions and reports.
- Networking, Communication, and knowledge management
- Organize consultations and events and ensure regular contributions and updates to online and knowledge management systems.
- Plan, develop and implement outreach strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating programmes, UNESCO projects and increasing visibility, resources and partnership.
- Provide specialized expertise, interpretation, assessment and communication to Field Offices, Ministries, peers, and other stakeholders.
- Resource mobilization and partnership development
- Explore alternative funding mechanisms; coordinate and follow-up on funding initiatives and reports; contribute to terms and deliverables, ensuring alignment with overall programme/project objectives.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, social sciences, or closely related fields.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible, relevant work experience in the field of migration, displacement, emergencies, and education, including representing organizations and substantively participating in key coordination and funding mechanisms, of which preferably 3 years is acquired at international level.
- Experience within UN/multilateral organizations, in designing, managing, monitoring, and evaluating large-scale programme/projects related to migration, displacement, emergencies, and education at national and/or regional level, of both upstream (system strengthening) and downstream nature.
- Experience with UN frameworks, international and regional development/coordination mechanisms related to migration, displacement, and emergencies, and those related to education.
- Experience in fundraising and resource mobilization for migration, displacement, emergencies, and education.
- Experience in outreach activities and partnerships/network building for migration displacement, emergencies, and education including at international level.
- Proven track record in conceptualizing, developing, managing, and monitoring programmes and projects related to the areas of the post projects and communicating their progress and results.
Skills and Competencies
- Very good familiarity with the Agenda 2030, SDG-Education 2030 Agenda, and related international and regional agendas related to migration, displacement, emergencies, and education.
- Proven conceptual, analytical and technical skills, including the ability to develop and provide expert advice on education policy and strategies
- Proven ability to anticipate and identify emerging related trends, needs, priorities and risks.
- Ability to plan strategically and to translate strategies into project proposals or actionable recommendations.
- Ability to collect evidence, synthesize and analyze information or data from various sources for informed decision-making purposes.
- Proven capacity to produce high-quality and policy-oriented analytical reports and recommendations. Solid written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare and present findings concisely, as well as to discuss actionable recommendations on issues of a technical nature in education.
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment with high political sensitivity; ability to manage, supervise and motivate staff and teams.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN System.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and good knowledge of French or Arabic.
Click below to apply.