Guidance Notes on reopening schools in the context of COVID-19 for school administrators and principals in Latin America and the Caribbean
These guidance notes contain a series of indications to support school administrators/directors in taking the necessary steps before and during the process of reopening schools; likewise, when schools remain open, it must be ensured that children are not at risk of contracting or spreading the virus and that their parents feel confident in sending their children to school. They also propose detailed guidelines to enable schools to resume the learning process and catch up on any learning lost, while also ensuring that the most vulnerable children and adolescents return to school.
What does this guidance note cover?
The first section presents key guidelines for before and during the reopening process related to:
- Planning, coordination, communication and monitoring.
- Policies, procedures and funding.
- Safe school operations.
- Continuity of safe school food and nutrition service.
- How to reach all children and adolescents with a focus on the most vulnerable.
- Protection and welfare.
The second section presents key actions and guidelines for when schools are open in relation to:
- Entry process.
- Water, sanitation and hygiene practices (hand washing, respiratory etiquette, menstrual hygiene, among others).
- Basic Disinfection and cleaning supplies.
- Orientations on physical distance (in classrooms, in the school yard, dining rooms, kitchens, dressing rooms, bathrooms, in school transportation).
- Continuity of school feeding and nutrition service/safe school canteens.
- Continuity of learning for all.
- Psychosocial support and welfare.
- Management and referral of suspected cases of COVID-19.
- Guidelines to prevent discrimination and stigma.
- Information and communication guidelines.